On this episode of WEDWay Radio we are proud to take a look at one of our favorite animated features the 1949 film Ichabod and Mr. Toad, and instead of looking at the entire feature we are going to instead look at the second half of the film: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. This is such a fantastic feature and some of the things that we look at in examining this are:
- Animation in the 40's and how this feature ended the "package films" of the 1940's where features were divided up into several subjects or a mix of live action and animated sequences.
- Washington Irving and the story of Sleepy Hollow. The first great American author who was internationally acclaimed and how this story was actually part of a larger set of works, including Rip Van Winkle while also creating a history for an area that was not very rich in culture.
- The art and animation of the film that stood including the work of Frank Thomas, Woolie Reitherman, John Lounsbery and Mary Blair
- The great music of the film including the narration by Bing Crosby.
- Where we can find Sleepy Hollow references in the parks.
Direct download: wedwayradio92.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00am UTC